Florida Ghosts, Legends & Lore
• Old St. Petersburg has several ghost legends including the mysterious " Lady in White".• THE GREENBRIAR LIGHT ST. -MANDARIN-Near Jacksonville For many years, on a rural dirt road, called Greenbriar Road, people have claimed that they were chased by a strange ball of light. In
• The Bardin Bugar is an ape-like creature said to have been sighted in the pine woods near Palatka. With a human face, it is said to be large and hairy and leaves size 13 tracks. It is similar to the Skunk Ape (see below).
• On the east coast between Melbourne and Cocoa in Rockledge, there is a restaurant called Ashleys. It is said there is a ghost of a woman who was killed by a train on the tracks that run behind the restaurant. She hangs around, sometimes touches people and wails her woes.
• The Skunk Ape has been described as large, hairy, man-like beast that roams the Everglades emitting a terrible odor. Sightings of these strange creatures have been made throughout south Florida.
• The old Belleview Biltmore Hotel, in Clearwater is said to be haunted. Several people have reported seeing strange lights and hearing weird sounds in the grand inn built in 1925.
• It is said that children can be heard making noises and running in the upstairs hallway at the Clay Cut Center, an administration building in Haines City that was once a grammar school built in 1923.
• In Daytona Beach several people have seen the ghost of a dark-haired woman in a nightgown on the Orange Avenue Bridge.
• An old light house in Boca Grande is said to have the ghost of a small girl.This child of a former light house keeper can be heard playing in the second floor entrance.
• Numerous people reported a giant penguin seen on Clearwater Beach in 1948. The enormous bird was described as 15 feet tall and left big tracks along the beach. During this same period people in a boat in the Gulf of Mexico reported seeing a huge penguin-like bird in the water.
• Huge monitor lizards are said to have been seen near Deland and Palm Beach.
© Copyright 2011 - Florida Secrets - Sarasota, FL